Saturday, November 1, 2008

Mark Twain

Last night we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. In the company of our good friends, Flora and Tim Hayes, we went to Talladega to the Ritz Theatre for "An Evening with Mark Twain". Those who know me well, know that Mark Twain is one of my favorite American Humorist/Writers.

This was the one man show performed by Hal Holbrook (Yes, the actor). I saw him perform the same show on television many years ago. This was slightly different from the PBS (I think) version but in most ways it was essentially the same. For the television show, the opening was Hal Holbrook coming onto the stage, sitting in front of a make-up mirror and "becoming" Mark Twain. Last night he simply came out in costume and full greasepaint.

I wanted to take pictures to post but they requested that we not and I respect and honor that request.

As I understand it, Hal Holbrook is 84 yrs old and this weekend in Talladega will be his final performance of this show. It's difficult to believe that he is that old. Mr Holbrook gave a mesmerizing and believable performance. I do not agree with his political views but he is an outstanding actor. I hope to be able to find a copy of this show on DVD somewhere. If anyone out there sees it let me know.

Again, and I quote from an earlier post "If you have never been to the Ritz Theater in Talladega you must try it. It is one of the best kept secrets in the great state of Alabama. George Culver and the folks in Talladega do a wonderful job bringing world class entertainment to the little berg of Talladega. The Ritz Theater ranks up there with the Shakespeare Festival in Montgomery and the Alabama Theater in Birmingham. You can call for information and get on their mailing list. The number is 256.761.0000. (No the four zeros is not a misprint.) " *NOTE* George Culver is leaving soon to take over as the executive director for the Alabama Children's Theatre in Birmingham but I am sure there is much that can be built on the foundations he has laid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Ronnie & I can go with you guys sometime to one of these events - I know I would love it. I wish we got to see y'all often. Love you - Cindy

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say Yea!!! for you on the weight loss thing - especially for your health's sake. Maybe you'll inspire me? :)
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog, and from one Alabamian to another, I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed reading about the Hal Holbrook performance. I've been to some truly beautiful theatres in several parts of the world and had no idea there was such a treasure right here in my home state. I'll have to check out The Ritz. What a shame that Hal Holbrook is retiring. But all good things do end (or at least change), don't they?
I read some of your earlier blogs as well. To Kill a Mockingbird is #2 on my Top 10 list of all-time favorite movies (and books). It reminds me of my childhood, too (at least the innocence and simplicity). This is one of those rare cases where the movie actually did the book justice. And who knew Robert Duvall was Boo Radley?! I seriously considered naming my daughter Scout, but my husband wouldn't have stood for it. Besides, not everybody has the same literary tastes, and I can only imagine the teasing she would have endured - although she has two classmates named Aurora (as in Sleeping Beauty) and one named Posh (as in The Spice Girls).
Also loved the pictures of the Gatlin Brothers. Talladega seems to have lots to offer as far as entertainment goes, and you have certainly met your share of famous "folk." I've only met a couple of "stars" - Phil Collins and Scott Baio (I guess he counts as a star). Maybe I'll start my own blog. Thanks for the great info, and I'll check in often. It's good to hear from a voice that reminds me of home.