Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Just More Ramblin'

Yesterday was Memorial Day. One would have thought that with the price of gasoline things would have been relatively quiet on the lake. I really don't know how the lake was cause I never left home yesterday. I worked in the yard. However, if Friday and Saturday was any indication, yesterday was packed. I have never seen so many BIG pick-ups and HUGE boats headed to Logan Martin. One might have suspected that people would squelch their extravangances but not this past weekend. WHEW!. I do not know how people afford it.

I was up at 5:20 am yesterday putting out WEED-N-FEED and Fire Ant killer in my yard. I really didn't want to feed my yard but it came with the package. I walked about two miles and never left my yard and I'm sore today. I finished this project around 8:00 am.

I cooked some ribs and Linda cooked a potato. We had a nice lunch and then I took a nap. Last night we watched "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD" for the umteenth time. It is a classic and one of our favorites. It is amazing how many of the things in the movie I can relate to my own early years. We had popcorn and kool-aid which we really enjoy doing. (Our feet didn't even stick to the floor.)

Just in case you don't know, "TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD" was written by Alabama writer Harper Lee. She is from Monroeville, Alabama. The movie was filmed in 1961. It starred Gregory Peck and two unknown kids (who were the real stars of the movie) both of which were from Alabama. Mary Badham played "Scout" and Phillip Alford played Jem. Both these young stars went on to play a few more parts in movies and on TV but neither pursued acting a full-time profession into adulthoon. I didn't realize for a long time, until Billy pointed it out to me, that Robert Duvall played Boo Radley.

If you haven't read the book or seen the movie I would encourage you to do both. It would be well worth your time.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Read it, seen it, loved it! It's one I ACTUALLY read in High School!!

Anonymous said...

You and Lou should go to the play in Monroe county (I think), or maybe it's Monroeville? Anyway, it was really good. Ronnie & I went with a group from Adamsville and I thoroughly enjoyed it. (Ronnie actually got sick & didn't get to see the play.) Sounds like a good Memorial Day to me - love y'all, Cindy